RSS

Song of the Day: The Boys are Too Refined

Click to Listen

SONG OF THE DAY: "The Boys are Too Refined" by The Hush Sound

Honestly, picking today's SotD was difficult... mostly because it's only the 3rd one I've done, and the first 2 were unofficial anyway (both Alexander Rybak songs, "13 Horses" and "Fairytale"), but also because I had so many songs that wanted the honor.

Seriously, within the past two days, I've been listening to a lot of good music, and the polls were basically open until like, 5 minutes ago. Toby Mac's "City on our Knees", Mika's "Blue Eyes", and Jason DeRulo's "Whatcha Say" were all pretty high ranking contenders, but The Hush Sound just brought something more to the table.

What did they bring, you may ask? Well, for starters, they brought this song. Honestly, there isn't a lot out there that sounds like it. The composition is absolutely exquisite, and the lead singer's voice gives the rocky sound a bit of a jazzy quality. The male vocal drives me crazy, I can't tell if it's multiple guys or just one, but it has this haunting, melodic quality that I can't get enough of.

And then there are the lyrics. Some of my Tumblr readers may recognize the second half of the chorus from a post I made about a day ago, and that's because I love that line ("And if I'm given the chance to be a doll in his hands, I will be sure we shake the mountains while we dance") because it just says SO much while saying so little. The whole song is like that. I've had this obsession with really beautiful, poetic lyrics, and this song has them in spades.

This song has been stuck in my head for awhile and I honestly don't know why. I first heard The Hush Sound on the Snakes on a Plane soundtrack ("Wine Red" was the song on there), but even though I loved them, I had never really gotten into them. However, I found this song SOMEHOW about two weeks ago and it's been stuck in my head all that time. And not annoyingly so... every time I replay it in my head, I just want to dance.

All three of their albums are very good, but my favorite so far is "Goodbye Blues", the album on which is "The Boys Are Too Refined." I'm hoping they put more stuff out, but seeing as they're on hiatus, I don't know when they will. Still, their old stuff is worth listening to to hold me over until they come out with something new. :)

LYRICS:

The boys who kiss and bite,
They are the brilliant ones who speak and write with silver luck...
They sing in clever tongues,
Oh how my knees go weak to be the one --
she kicks and bucks.
Always quick to follow
The boys are too refined
Won't matter tomorrow
Oh, to be in his mind
And if the timing is right to sneak off into the night,
I'll let myself be taken just for the thrill.
And if I'm given the chance to be a doll in his hands,
I will be sure we shake the mountains while we dance
To daddy singing sweet, a lullaby to all his credit speak, his golden light
to the edge with a car, he sent it off a cliff just for the spark
to hell with why
Always quick to follow
The boys are too refined
Won't matter tomorrow
Oh, to be in his mind
And if the timing is right to sneak off into the night,
I'll let myself be taken just for the thrill.
And if I'm given the chance to be a doll in his hands,
I will be sure we shake the mountains while we dance

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: