RSS

Not-So-Celebrity Playlist

The NaBloPoMo site has yet to update it's theme, and until they do, I guess I'm stuck thinking up my OWN themes.

Anyway, I was thinking, and for whatever reason, iTunes Celebrity Playlists were on my mind. I REALLY like seeing what songs other people pick, and why. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's stupid, and sometimes it's deep and thought provoking. Not to mention, it has the potential of getting me into some new music. I LOVE new music, especially new music I end up... LOVING.

So, I decided today's post would be a not so celebrity playlist... one of mine that I enjoy listening to. It's a bit harder, and it's kind of a story... about the ins and outs of many different types of relationships... it tells a number of stories, so it's a bit long.

Anyway, here are the songs and artists. A few of the songs come with explanations as to why I like them, why they're in the playlist, etc. Just because. Enjoy!

Story Book Ending


1. Emergency - Paramore

I love Paramore, no joke... but no one who shares the love, that I've spoken to, ever mentions "Emergency", which is sad because it's seriously one of my favorite songs by them. It's SO poetic and beautiful, and I love how it's hard core and yet such a touching song.

The reason it's in this playlist is bittersweet. The lyrics, to me, speak of a person who is an idiot when it comes to love. In one instance, they want to love the person who is telling the story (Hayley is the lead singer of the band, thus sings the song, but its not necessarily the person telling the story... if that makes sense) but they don't really know what love is, thus have no idea how to show it. My first experience with love was a situation like this. I had a guy who seemingly wanted to like me, but had a strange way of showing it... likewise, I wasn't willing to give up on him, and kept going back time and time again, only to have my heart broken numerous times. And, as I've mentioned in blogs previous to this one, it was one of the most interesting experiences in my life, complete with tears, pain, and growth... and I'll always be thankful for it. So, "Emergency" is a bittersweet beginning to this playlist.

2. Stand Up - Fireflight

3. It Ends Tonight - All American Rejects

I honestly just feel no relationship playlist is complete without AAR's "It Ends Tonight", because it happens. We really can't deny it.

4. Dance, Dance - Fall Out Boy

I included this song because I love the music video... especially the part with the geeks trying to get the girls to dance with them. "It's a dance so why don't we... you know, dance."

Not to mention, I love Fall Out Boy for their abstract, yet poetic, lyrics. They're fairly crass, but a lot of times, they're also extremely deep.

5. When It Rains - Paramore

6. So Help Me God - Fireflight

Fireflight is a new discovery, I've never even heard of them before last week, but I fell in love with them. People constantly told me to check out Flyleaf, due to my musical interests. I wasn't too impressed with Flyleaf, but discovered Fireflight whilst looking up the latter, and was VERY impressed. They're now on constant loop in my iTunes.

"So Help Me God" is in the playlist, not only because it's the first song I ever heard from Fireflight, but because I like the message. So many songs talk about the break up, the cheating, the hurting... some even talk about how we are NEVER going to forgive the person that did those things to us. However, not enough talk about how we NEED to let it go. It's not healthy to hold onto contempt or stuff like that, it only keeps the pain alive and doesn't allow us to move on. "So Help Me God" covers that, and I loooooooove that it does. So, here it is.

7. Move Along - All American Rejects

8. The Diary of Jane - Breaking Benjamin

I actually discovered Breaking Benjamin on the Halo 2 soundtrack... and I liked the song they had on there. I've only heard 2 songs so far, because I haven't had the chance to listen to more than that... but "The Diary of Jane" is an AMAZING song. To me, it's always struck me as a desperate need to be noticed by someone who catches your eye.

9. I Write Sins, Not Tragedies - Panic! At The Disco

10. Everything I'm Not - The Veronicas

"Everything I'm Not" handles the feeling that you need to change for the person you're with... how it seems like you always have to, and then you finally realize you SHOULDN'T have to.

I've never listened to the Veronicas, this is the one and only song by them I've heard, but I really like it, and I look forward to hearing more.

11. Wrapped In Your Arms - Fireflight

12. Runaway - Cartel

13. Misery Business - Paramore

14. The Take Over, The Break's Over - Fall Out Boy

15. Your Guardian Angel - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

The first song I've ever heard by them, "Your Guardian Angel" to me just screams "true love." Something about the line "even if saving you sends me to Heaven" sends chills up my spine. It's a beautiful song that mixes two sounds, starting out with a slower ballad type sound and transforming into a more upbeat sound near the end.

16. In The End - Linkin Park

17. Here We Go Again - Paramore

18. Nine in the Afternoon - Panic! At The Disco

19. More Than a Love Song - Fireflight

20. Decode - Paramore

21. Hero/Heroine - Boys Like Girls

Glancing at this song on the surface, you'd think it was a song about perfect matches... yin and yang, heroes and heroines... etc. etc. But, I see it as a play on words. The line "I feel like a hero and you're my heroine" strikes me as a person who is an upstanding citizen, except for this little drug habit. Even the most noble of people can be torn apart and destroyed by drugs, and that's kind of what I see it as... a person stuck in a relationship that isn't good for them.

22. Breathe Today - Flyleaf

23. A Little Less 16 Candles - Fall Out Boy

24. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World

25. Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

I have no idea why I felt the need to end this playlist with this particular song... but to me it's a song that handles both sides of an abusive relationship - the woman, trying to hide it, and the man who is anything but for beating her. As much as we hate to admit it, relationships like this happen, and I just felt it needed to be included.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: