RSS

PRIEST (2011; Paul Bettany, Karl Urban)



I'm not sure, but I don't think I've written up my preview post for the movie PRIEST yet... odd, considering it 1. has Karl Urban, 2. has Paul Bettany, 3. has Christopher Plummer, and 4. is the only movie I want to see in 2011.

It was supposed to be out around August of last year... but it kept getting pushed back further and further, and now it looks like it's pretty set on a May 13th release. Finally. Because I really want to see this movie.

The movie is loosely based on a graphic novel series by the same name. There are certain traits taken from the GNs to the movie - like the villain, the main character, etc. - but the overall concept is vastly different. Which is fine... the appeal of the GNs for me was the fact that they read like a western. They involved vampires and other creatures and warrior priests, but all in all, the PRIEST series was a western, in the style of 3:10 to Yuma, Tombstone, etc. Everything I've been hearing says they've carried that over to the film.

If you haven't heard of PRIEST, and don't get a whole lot from the trailer, the idea is basically this:

Paul Bettany is a warrior priest who rebels from the faith when he is forbidden by the higher ups to track down his niece (who was kidnapped when the supposedly extinct vampires attacked her family). Together with a female priest who is sent to kill him and a sheriff (?) sworn to help him, they uncover a deadly secret: Black Hat (a fellow priest turned God of Vampires in the first war) has helped the vampires replenish their ranks, and they're now stronger than ever.

Words do not express how excited I am... no joke. I just... I can't wait. I can't. I love the GNs and I love every actor in this movie. May cannot come fast enough!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: