RSS

Facebook is jealous of my talent...

...therefore is trying to steal it for itself.

No joke. Anyone else check out the new Terms of Service? Because honestly... not cool. Now, anyone who follows this blog knows that facebook and I have a love hate relationship... sans the love. We despise each other. Facebook insults me on a daily basis (today it asked my mom if she thought I ever paid money to have sex, and that is NOT a joke), and I do everything I can to thwart it's evil ways... especially since its sudden rise in communist members (I have picture proof, just ask, I'll send it).

But honestly, I never thought facebook would start claiming other people's stuff as their own. The new Terms of Service are a joke... see, in the past, when you deleted your facebook page, Facebook lost all rights it had to your content. But now... now it's Linkchanged. Here are the new TOS:

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof. The following sections will survive any termination of your use of the Facebook Service: Prohibited Conduct, User Content, Your Privacy Practices, Gift Credits, Ownership; Proprietary Rights, Licenses, Submissions, User Disputes; Complaints, Indemnity, General Disclaimers, Limitation on Liability, Termination and Changes to the Facebook Service, Arbitration, Governing Law; Venue and Jurisdiction and Other.



Basically... anything you upload to facebook belongs to facebook now and forever. Pictures, blogs, videos, music, anything. Anything you upload is theirs to do whatever they want with... even if you delete your page. What I want to know is WHY. Why do they feel the need to do this?? And the only thing I can think is... the people who use facebook are just amazing. There's a plethora of amazing, witty writers, even more talented photographers and photo alter...ers... a number of people on the site are extremely talented, who wouldn't want to cash in??

Most of this blog may be a joke, but I'm serious about this: I don't know how I feel about Facebook taking my stuff. No one should upload anything they don't feel comfortable with to the internet in the first place, but I don't know why facebook feels the need to hold on to my photos forever. What would it want to do with them? And say someone uploads something you don't want uploaded? Then what? You have no control over that... it just sucks. A number of people have photos of their family and children on their pages, and now facebook owns those... it just doesn't make sense.

One thing is for certain - you will never see a note of mine in full on facebook again. I wonder if, by linking you to my blog on a facebook note, I'm indirectly giving them an owner's licence to my blog but I doubt it. It's not that I think I'm this amazing writer, but I do have my moments... and I just don't want my thoughts owned by someone else.

Seriously, though... this is stupid, facebook. Really, really stupid. Myspace wins this round, they have yet to do something this stupid and pointless. Facebook isn't going to cash in on my wit anymore... and it isn't going to cash in on my photo awesomeness anymore, either.

This does raise a question, though. I have a number of photo albums that aren't of me... for instance, my Star Trek (2009) album. I created the album in anticipation of the new movie because, quite frankly, I'm a Star Trek fan and I've been following the progression of this movie for a long time. Now there are pictures on the web and I'm out to get them... and share them with everyone. Now, they aren't my pictures... someone else took them, and I borrowed them. I'm fairly certain I linked to the Star Trek site in the album but I could be wrong, and if I am, I'll fix that. But it's not the point... the point is... those aren't my photos, they belong to someone else... they belong to BadRobot. Can Facebook claim those? Can it infact licence a photo that isn't mine? Will they get in trouble if they try?? Who knows... it's a whole lot of legal stupid that doesn't need to be going down, if you ask me.

This is kind of a rant, but I'm also doing it to let everyone know what's going down, because it was kind of done in secret. I didn't know till someone brought it to my attention. The good news?? I think we still have time to take down what we don't want on facebook. This was on my facebook page tonight... a number of you may have seen it as well:


A couple of weeks ago, we posted an update to our Terms of Use that we hoped would clarify some parts of it for our users. Over the past couple of days, we have received a lot of questions and comments about these updated terms and what they mean for people and their information. Because of the feedback we received, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.


The good news? This means facebook is listening to us finally... and it means the TOS aren't in effect anymore. The bad news? It sounds like it's a temporary lift of the new TOS, so we only have a small window to clean up our pages, if we have a window at all.

Also, I tried to go to the blog and I can't get there, it doesn't work. If anyone else can access the blog, please let me know, I'd like to check it out. In the meantime, join one of the following groups and keep them strong, hopefully it'll keep the new TOS dormant (I don't normally support groups like this... the new facebook stuff was kind of funny, but I seriously think this whole ordeal is stupid and doesn't need to be going down).

People Against the new Terms of Service

FACEBOOK OWNS YOU! Protest the new TOS.

Those agains Facebook TOS

Let's get this!

~Lauren

P.S. Here's another page to visit:

Facebook Bill of Rights

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: